Saturday, October 4, 2014

more cooking!

I've been doing a very good job, if I say so myself, of actually cooking! I do tend to repeat meals, and so I thought I'd show some of my favorites.


Lentil curry is a great meal for perpetually broke a graduate student like me, because it can be made entirely from long-lasting ingredients, and is quite filling. Mine does have coconut milk in it, which I store in the freezer to make it last longer. Otherwise the curry is just lentils, carrots, and potatoes, on top of rice.




Mushrooms on toast has quickly become one of my favorite meals, because I love mushrooms a lot a lot. I just sauté them with onions and garlic, and then add goat cheese for a bit of cream. On the side is another of my favorite dishes, honey-roasted sweet potatoes. I mix honey & olive oil 50/50, pour it over cubed potatoes, and bake them for about 40 min. They are a great pseudo-dessert, because they are so sweet!


It is getting cold here in Boston, so I've been making this cabbage and rice soup more and more. Cabbage is another great vegetable that lasts forever in the fridge, and I usually get two servings of soup out of 2-3 leaves. It is very warm and hearty. :)


Finally, a pretty basic breakfast I'm fond of--oatmeal with some type of egg. In this case I made tea eggs, which turned out well! They are great as a side, or just a quick snack. I might have to make some more this weekend!


Anyway, these are all super fast dishes that require minimal ingredients and minimal preparation. Most can be made for under 1$, which is another plus. And, of course, they are all very delicious. I am definitely enjoying cooking a lot more than I thought I would! 

No comments:

Post a Comment